Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Cherry Blossoms!


So...it has been some time, hasn't it!?

Obviously, as I said in my last post, I have a lot of catching up to do...I essentially lost April due to Dad hogging the computer, and I actually HAVE had a lot going on...I have tried to keep you up to date on super important stuff (my Toddler room upgrade at daycare, eating cat food, etc) but that of course means that I have been neglecting important stuff...

Now, over the next few posts, I'm gonna be catching you all up! Thanks for being patient and bearing with me!

In early April, Mom and Dad took me to Washington, DC's world famous (Seriously...I think the entire world was here) Cherry Blossom Festival. Mom and Dad had been to the festival numerous times, but this was my first. The festival is, according to the festival's website:

"The National Cherry Blossom Festival is the nation's and Washington, DC's greatest springtime event and annually celebrates the gift of the cherry blossom trees and their symbol of enduring friendship between the citizens of Japan and the United States. Timed in conjunction with the peak blooming period of the trees, the city-wide festival attracts visitors and DC residents to over 90 events in partnership with more than 30 local organizations."

In Toddler terms, there are a ton of pretty trees arranged around the Tidal Basin and National Mall in DC, and tons of people come to see them while they are super pretty for about ten days.

We all had a lot of fun! Mom held on to me while I took some snaps in front of the world famous Washington Monument...we were both super happy!

And Dad hoisted me up for one of his patented shoulder rides...

As you can see, the weather was perfect, and the cherry blossoms were in full bloom behind us!

Since this was the first real actual nice weather since I began walking in earnest, it was also the first time I was able to run around outside in a big open field and get my feet (and knees) dirty...

Mom and Dad found a little grove of trees that weren't as crowded, and we settled down there...I got to do a bit more running around (although it was a bit more challenging, seeing as how there were a bunch of roots from the cherry blossoms crisscrossing around the little picnic area) I ate a late lunch, and managed to give Mom quite the workout, since she spent a lot of time chasing me around! Keep up, Mom!!

Because of the timing of everything, we barreled through my nap, and I was exhausted...I fought my nap, but sweet sleep won out, and I feel asleep on the walk back home...

Maybe next year, if we feel like fighting the crowds, we'll go to the area with more trees, but for now I was quite happy in the Sam-Sized cherry tree grove that we had (mostly) to ourselves......


No comments: