Thursday, June 3, 2010

My Triumphant Return to The National Zoo!

So, I have to interrupt my "catch-up" posts to let you in on today's fun activities...

Dad and I returned to our old neighborhood for our first post-move National Zoo visit! It was a lot of fun, and even though it was kind of hot, and we only spent a couple hours there, the time was jam-packed with fun!

Dad and I walked down the steep hill, and checked out the cheetahs and zebra...they were kind of far away, so Dad didn't get any pictures of them, but they were a lot of fun to watch! When I said "Woof woof" at the cheetahs, Dad corrected me and said they were more like cats, and made a "rrroowwwr" sound, which I immediately duplicated (Much to Dad's delight)

We made our way through the throngs of people (Dad let me walk around myself for a bit, but it was so crowded, and while I have gotten better at balance, I still have trouble with randomly walking into people. Also, that stupid hat that Mom and Dad make me wear blocks some of my vision)


We saw the elephants next on our way to the bird house! Not only do I love birds, but I knew that there would be a brief respite from the nearly unbearable heat...

On our way, we looked through the fence to see some ducks lazily paddling along in the lakes surrounding the bird house.

When we finally made it into the bird house, Dad let me out of the stroller again, and also let me take off that hat. We saw SO many birds! Dad even let me lead the way, so wherever I wanted to go, that's where we went!

We even got to go into this one section where you got to walk around with the birds flying all around you! There were all types of cool exotic birds, big and small! We even saw a peacock and some owls!

-------

Dad kept stopping me from climbing into the exhibit, but don't think that's the last time I try to get in there! There was a piece of banana stuck on a tree right in front of us, and we got to watch this teeny tiny bird eat at it. It was super cute.

After we spent a lot of time running around the bird house, Dad and I walked up The Asia Trail to head on out...on our way, we saw some otters playing in their enclosure.

It was so cool! They were right behind the glass, and were swimming all over the place! They even had a ball to play with (and that meant I got to say "Ball!" a lot!)

They were so weird looking, but yet somehow really cute! They were like little water kitties, and I really enjoyed getting to watch them for so long!

On the way out, Dad took me through the water-mister, so I could cool off a bit...it was so refreshing!

Knowing that he and Mom had been looking for baseball hats for me, Dad stopped into the Zoo Shop to get me a new hat. Stylish, no?

And yes...Dad put sunscreen on me...my cheeks are a little pink because of how warm it was outside...

After the zoo, Dad took me to the old 7-11 in our old apartment building...he got us some cut upo apples, and we hung out in the car for a bit, snacking after our fun little adventure.

Naturally, I fell asleep in the car, and got a good long nap...what a great day!

2 comments:

Gramma Mindy said...

You have a wonderful dad and mom who take you on such great outings.

The P-G Kids said...

I really kinda do. We have way too much fun...I don't know if Mom and Dad are even gonna have any more fun left to give a little brother or sister. :-)