Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Monkeys at the Zoo...FINALLY!


This past Friday saw another trip to the zoo...and resulted in a vist to the long-promised monkey house! (Tecnhically they were apes and orangutans...but that's neither here nor there...they're all monkeys to me!)



Monkeys are one of my favorite animals, and it was super fun to finally get down there to see them. They are at the way bottom of the zoo (which is a heckuva walk) so we had never made it down there before during all of our other ventures...


First, we stopped at the kids petting zoo and saw alpacas, sheep, and cows! I even petted a cow, but that only lasted a second or two. The cow's fur (hair?!) was really rough, and it kind of bugged me out a bit. It was a fun experience, but not one I need to repeat all that soon...Dad washed my hands, and we headed off to the main event...


I was distracted by other stuff like waterfalls, turtles, and birds...but once I saw he Great Ape House looming before me, I only had eyes for the primates!


We went inside, and even though it was a little smelly, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be, considering how hot it was outside..



Almost right away, I saw some Orangutans, and I got so excited I couldn't contain myself! I started laughing, and almost felt like crying I was so excited! Dad asked me what the monkeys said, and I responded with my best monkey sound! People around us smiled, but I only had eyes for the Orangutans, which were swinging around their enclosure. They saw us, and it was so cool!

On the way out of the House, there was a small port hole window at the exit. Dad propped me up to look in, and one of the Orangutans saw me, and walked right over. He was looking at me, and I waved to get his attention. He was eating some food, and kept making faces at me. He stuck his tongue out, and generally seemed interested in me. Those big dark eyes stared back me, and I just got lost. I had to move over, so other kids could see him, but Dad still held me so I could get a good look...It's ough to see in the reflection, but his face is right there! Can you believe it? Even Dad was super excited about it!



After awhile, the Orangutan walked away, but when the crowd cleared, he came back to see me again! A woman even remarked that the Orangutan must have been I couldn't believe it! He had the sweetest face, and I can't wait to go back there to see him again! We finally waved "Bye bye" and walked away to let other kids get their turn, but I like to think I had a special connection with that guy. It was too cool...Next time I go, I'll have to check and see what his name is...


After some walks through the water misters (Which I just can't get enough of) we got in the car, and I fell into one of the happiest naps ever....

I wonder what we'll see next time we go to the zoo?!

No comments: