Sunday, January 22, 2012

Zoo Lights 2011!



I am home sick with an ear infection (with a side order of everyone's favorite...pink eye!) so I figured I would continue the momentum I had with the blog by taking you through the highlights of this year's Zoo Lights!

Just like last year, the event was free and held at The National Zoo. We met up with Mom (who was coming from work) and started our journey around the beautiful lights...

Before we started our walk, we stopped by the vistors center, where they had a HUGE train set built in the main auditorium...

There were lots of tiny figures dotting the landscape, and so much to look at....there was Elmo, and Cookie Monster, and Buzz Lightyear....so many fun things to see, and details that you might miss if you weren't looking closely.

I didn't want to miss anything, so I made sure to look closely....
There were several different trains running on the numerous tracks, and one of them was a Thomas train!

As you probably expected (if you know anything about Thomas) he was moving pretty fast, so it was hard to get a good picture of him, but this is the best Dad could do...Thomas' eyes even moved back and forth while he zipped around the track. It was really neat!

After our stop at the train, we ventured forth out into the Zoo...Mom and I walked ahead, flanked on either side by all of the gorgeous light displays. Sometimes you didn't even know where to look, since there was so much going  on!
It was inevitable that I would want to be picked up at some point, and Mom got the first shift. We walked past all of the trees that were lit up for the event, and while we were looking, Mom did a great job of keeping me warm!
I wanted to make sure Dad didn't feel left out, so I let him carry me around for awhile, and we took pictures in front of some trees that were done up for the event. As you can see, as evidenced by all the smiling (and I promise that Mom was smiling behind the camera) we were having a great time!
We came upon this elephant statue that was all lit up for the occasion...I became curious, of course, about this avant garde statue...where were his eyes? Where was his mouth? I saw the shape of an elephant, but did I truly see an elephant? I can't say, really....but regardless, it was a beautiful display....
Some of the houses for animals were open for us to visit, but unfortunately, a lot of the animals were asleep when we got their. We did our best to keep quiet and not disturb them, but we still walked around to check out the displays...
Every now and again, we'd find a really cool little creature to check out. Dad was nice enough to carry me around (Even though he and Mom had specifically said they wanted me to walk around...suckers) and though he would never admit it, he also may have engaged in some dancing around when it came time to see the dancing lights...
We went back outside after the brief trip into the small mammal house to check out some more lights, and we came upon some that looked animated, which was always a fun sight to see. The way the lights worked, it looked like the fish was actually jumping out of the water, and landing back in with a splash. It was really cool!
Several spots featured trees with "dancing lights" meaning they played music while the lights flashed on and off in sequence...it was fun to watch and listen to, and I even convinced my parents to dance around with me for a little while...whoo hoo!
As the night wore on, I started to get a little punchy, and ditched my hat...it also took no less than 200 attempts for Mom to get the picture of me below...

No comments: