Monday, September 21, 2009

An Epic Journey Part IV-Heading back home!

In life, there are things that one is easily prepared for, and there are things that one thinks they are prepared for, and then...there are things that one isn't at all prepared for, and that you didn't even remotely think you could pretend you were prepared for...

What I was not prepared for in this case, was the drive back home after the vacation in Maine. Because we had driven North in stages (heading from DC to Connecticut, then to Portland, Maine for the wedding, and then on up to Houlton...) I was not quite ready for the fact that we had to drive back to Connecticut in one large chunk.

Usually it takes about 9 hours (WOW!) but this time, Mom and Dad tried to stop as often as they could to keep me happy, and the trip blew up to around 11 hours...

We even stopped at a place called Colonial Candies, which is an olde tymey candy store in Massachusetts. Mom and Dad LOVE this place, and desperately try to get out of the store without spending hundreds of dollars...everything from handmade fudge, candy, and old school candies from long ago, like Fun Dip, and Lemonheads! This was a very pleasant stop, and we figured, if we had to stop for me anyway, it may as well be somewhere fun...

My last feeding stop was in a quaint town in Connecticut that contained the Silas Deane House...

Those in on Mom and Dad's journey through names for me will understand the significance of that....

After so much time in the car over the last week, I was spent...I was miserable, man. Mom and Dad were also exhausted by trip's end, and by the time we arrived in CT, I had been screaming myself hoarse for about 45 minutes.

Easily one of the longest 45 minutes of my parents' lives, I'm sure...

We finally arrived at Gramma Debbie's, and my parents rescued me from the carseat...

It was very hard to calm me down, as I was exhausted, it was a couple hours past my bedtime, and I was all done with everything...

Gramma used this Mickey Mouse doll (and her patented funny voice) to help calm me down, and even though it worked, I really just wanted to suck on his nose...
After a good night's sleep, I woke up in a slightly better mood (at least until I discovered that another car ride awaited me...)

Before we left, Gramma Debbie showed me a new toy she got me. It's a walker, that had a lot of toys in it! I got a kick out of playing with it, since it had a bubnch of stuff you could grab and mess with along the top. It's a lot like the bouncers I have in daycare, except this one has wheels (Don't worry...no stairs at Gramma's to fall down!)

I had a lot of fun at Gramma Debbie's, and even got to see Grandpa for a little while...the elusive Grandpa shows himself...and I enjoyed every minute of it.


And with that, my time in Connecticut had come to a close yet again, and I was off to Washington, DC where my bed awaited me...I have never been so happy to see that beautiful crib!

I had a lot of fun being on the road, but this was a tough week and a half for all of us...I have sworn off traveling for awhile, much as I miss everyone.

As you can see below, I have such a blast visiting with people, but I'm off the road until October!

No comments: