Sunday, June 30, 2013

Our Walt Disney Cruise!! (PART 2 of 3)

Day Two of Our Disney Cruise!!

For our second day, our ship was heading towards Nassau in the Bahamas. En route to the island, we had some breakfast at one of the restaurants on the ship...yep. Those are definitely what you think they are...


MICKEY MOUSE FACE WAFFLES! This really might not just be the most magical place on Earth...but also the coolest.
All of us had a really great breakfast. The food was pretty good, as was the company.
Once on the island, we made our way to our main excursion: The Atlantis Aquarium! We got on a small bus, and drove through the cramped, windy streets of Nassau until we made it to the Aquarium, which is actually on the grounds of a beautiful resort.
Once in the aquarium, we got to see lots of different types of fish.
Mom was a little bolder than I, and she reached into the tank to feel a starfish. I decided against it, and that I would just watch her doing it and live vicariously through her.
There were also some VERY cool jellyfish in a tank down there. I love watching them move around. It is simultaneously beautiful and spooky.

They seemed to give off this eerie glow that was really cool.

A lot of the Aquarium was based on the concept that we were amongst the ruins of something called "The Dig" the way it was set up was really well done. It really seemed like we were watching fish just take over ancient ruins.
There was a lot of walking involved when it came to being on our tour. (Later we walked around on our own to see stuff that we'd missed or hadn't gotten enough time to see) When we were on the tour, we got to walk all around the grounds of the resort, and into these very cool caves that led back into the aquarium.
There were all these entry ways set up to make it seem like we were looking at ancient hieroglyphics...like I said, I loved the theme, and it was very well done.
Dad carried me for a spell during the hotter parts of the trip. But really, though, you couldn't have asked for better weather than we were getting so far!
One of the coolest parts of the aquarium was when we got to go through a big glass tunnel that went underwater. There, we could have sharks swimming all around us. I'm not gonna say I wasn't just a little nervous, but for the most part, the coolness of it all trumped my nerves.
Mom pointed out lots of sharks to me. They were really cool.
We made a return trip to the jellyfish on the way out. Without being rushed by the tour, we got to watch them for a little bit longer, which I really appreciate. I'm not really a huge fan of being rushed.
But yeah...they were definitely still a little spooky.

We wrapped up our trip to the aquarium, and started to make our way out. Definitely lots of cool stuff to see there. Fish, sharks, and even people snorkeling in the ruins. Very cool place!
On the way out, I made a new friend...this is me and my new turtle on the bus ride back through the city and to the docks to get back on our boat.
We decided to use the time back on the ship to try out The Aqua Duck. The Disney Cruise website has some great videos showing exactly what this thing is...it's a water coaster the runs the length of the ship...you sit in a little inflatable raft, and go through the tube being propelled by the water through some really cool twists and turns...it seemed like a lot of fun on the website, so I was excited to do it.
We got all ready to go, and I chose Dad to go with me on my maiden voyage. I promised Mom we'd go again, and that she'd get to ride with me the second time.

Mom and Dad were both so proud that I juuuuust made the height cutoff to allow me to ride. I got a bracelet that said I could ride with a grownup (which I wore for several weeks afterwards. As I told both Mom and Dad...it's cool, and it was waterproof!) and we waited in line. 

Mom and Dad were doubly impressed that while waiting in line, I didn't change my mind...but there we were at the top. I climbed in with Dad, and for the first half of it, I was thrilled, and we were going so fast, with incredible views of the ship and ocean around it...then we simultaneously went into a dark tunnel, and got lots of water splashed in our faces. So I got really upset, and started crying. Dad comforted me, and I was willing to admit after we got off that I mostly liked the ride.

Though, Mom, sadly, did not get to ride with me on my second run...as there never was one. Sorry, Mom. I owe you one.
After the water coaster, we decided to take it down a notch, and watch a bit of The Little Mermaid on the deck. There was an enormous screen right outside, and it looked amazing!
Our dinner that night was at The Animator's Palette Restaurant, and the evening was themed around Pirate Night! Lots of people came dressed to the nines in pirate gear!
Mom and I didn't dress up, but that didn't dampen the pirate spirit within us! We still gave a solid "ARRRRRRRRRR!" for the camera!
The restaurant was very cool...the walls were all made of video screens that simulated being underwater, and several characters from Finding Nemo interacted with the guests at the restaurant. It was so so so cool!
You know what else is cool? Having a Mickey Ice Cream Bar for every...single...dessert...at every...single...meal.
Messy, but delicious!
Mom got a very fancy sundae that included this edible Mickey topper (I'm TELLING ya! That guy is EVERYWHERE!"
On our way out, we obviously had to stop by and see this very realistic Buzz Lightyear replica with his two alien friends. He looked so real, and I kept watching him reeeeeeally closely to see if he moved at all...
We returned to our room after another wonderful Broadway caliber stage show (with me as always in the lead)....
...and found this guy waiting for us. Our porter is a GENIUS.

This was a quick shot that the ship photographer snapped of us during Pirate Night. The crew left us some pirate bandanas to wear for the evening, and Dad took every advantage of it, totally looking the part with his beard and surly manner.

I didn't know where else to put this photo....but I wanted to stick it in here so everyone could see the whole family together at another restaurant....the whole family, of course, includes Monkey.
We were REALLY having a great time, and were super bummed that it had to all end....on Day 3! Coming up next!!

No comments: